WHO WE ARE

Two convivial girls with a shared love of a surprising amount of things including fashion, makeup, traveling, and more!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Our Top 10 Wardrobe Essentials

| | 0 comments


We have very similar taste in clothes. Very. We share, and hand-me-down to each other, although pants are a little tricky - we wear the same size, but Mallory is 5'11" and Lauren is 5'2" (AND a quarter, don't forget it!), so that can pose a bit of a challenge but that's never stopped us before.

With that being said, we think a lot about clothes, no, we are certainly not stylists - just two girls who love clothes. But we love to notice what others are wearing, research on the latest trends and compare items, look at things like price and fabric composition to determine what's the better call. Specifically we both love finding items to add to our collection of "pieces that feel like me". We both joke about leaving items in shopping carts on multiples sites for days, maybe even weeks on end, trying to determine an item's merit towards our limited closet space. Truthfully, we bond over the amount of work we've put into creating our own personal uniforms. What we like to think of as pieces that are quintessential to our look, that on any given day, make us feel like ourselves.

So, we have each rounded up a list of items that make up our own uniforms, there may be several of the same pieces in varying colors but these different colors, even in the same item, can make an outfit look totally different, these items give you varying mileage, they're essential items, that are universal and can help us each to feel like ourselves in our look.

Without further ado ...


Lo's 10:

Sweaters - chunky, sweatshirt style, you name it. Specifically in gray but honestly, give me all the neutrals: black, crème, navy, striped. And if they are cropped, even better!


T-Shirts white v-necks and gray t-shirts (no surprises here). Again, any neutral color, serves me well, I’m also partial to a good olive green and make it heathered, while you’re at it. Crop tops are a must, to go along with my high waisted shorts and pants. P.S. a good logo/graphic t-shirt make for good company in a t-shirt collection


Skinnies a few good pairs of basic skinny jeans, primarily, black and blue, will take me a long way (aka fewer loads of laundry aka lazy). As mentioned, I am high waisted kind of girl, so I always reach for those and definitely a few distressed pairs as well, because well, badassery factor.

Shorts I am a sucker for high waisted cutoffs, is all you need to know.


Skirts I prefer them in the mini or pencil variety and pull that waist right on up! Plus a good black maxi skirt, with a high slit and waist, pair that with a knotted t-shirt and it's one of my favorite go-to bohemian-inspired looks. I think of myself typically as a minimalist dresser, I like clean lines and I love to play around with the balance of masculinity and femininity with clothes, maybe by pairing a boxy t-shirt with a pencil skirt, etc.

Jackets a good leather or denim jacket can carry me through all the seasons. Although, there are other jackets I might grab depending on the look I’m going for and the weather, these two I consider must haves for looks I go to regularly.


Converses low or high tops, either will do. These puppies can dress down an outfit to perfection.

Booties if you ever want to see a really good eye roll, ask Cody what my bootie collection is numbering at. So many shades of brown, black, and tan. All the shades, please.

High heel Sandals and Wedges hand me a chunky high heel wedge or mule and I’m happy as a clam at high tide. And a nude pair of heels for skinny jean dreams.


Flats a good pair of d’orsay flats can Audrey Hepburn my outfit right on up and I’m a softie for a retro feel through and through.





Mal's 10:

Plaid the perfect piece for the spring and fall. You can throw it over a tank or a tee and get a bit of warmth when the nights are cooler, but you can easily tie it around your waist during the day (thank goodness this is back in style)!



Black Skinnies these may be my #1 in my arsenal. I can't live without at least one pair of black skinnies. They can be dressed up, down, way down, you name it



Boyfriend Tees ok, full disclosure, I may own approximately 100 boyfriend tees. They are the perfect casual top in my closet. You can just leave it baggy for a super casual look, tie up the front or side with a rubber band for a more polished finish, or even tuck one side in to hop on the trend train. When in doubt for me - black skinnies and a boyfriend tee



Booties I am embarrassed to admit my closet is full of booties, but I still feel like I need MORE MORE MORE. I love to pair these bad boys with skinnies, shorts, dresses - you name it. They are feminine enough to remind me that I can be a girl sometimes, but not wearing stilettos on a regular basis. Love.



Nude Heels these are a must for every girl out there. A nude heel can pair with literally anything, and any color. White, Black, Blue, Pink. When in doubt, if I am dressing up for anything I reach for a pair of nude heels to finish off my look



Black Dress this one seems super cliché, but I literally love a good black dress. It can be dressed up or down, depending on what you pair with it. Add a floral kimono and some nice sandals or heels and you are ready for a dinner out. Add a plaid shirt (on or around the waist) and some lace-ups or sandals, and you are ready to conquer your day of errands!





Good, Versitile Shirt this is something everyone has, but no one ever thinks about; and it sounds super vague if you think about it. Most of my wardrobe is filled with neutral, versatile tops that can be dressed up or down. I can wear them to work, or out to the bar, or on an airplane. And I am all about that. I think every girl should own at least one good, versatile shirt that can smoothly transition from work to play



Jacket obviously, depending on where you live will depend on the importance of this one; obviously you Floridians may not necessarily have such a need, but for a girl like me who is ALWAYS cold anyways, a good jacket is a must. I look for style and warmth, which unfortunately is hard to find for a reasonable price sometimes, but ultimately I see these as great investments for my wardrobe



Lace-Ups my. everything. I love my Converse and Vans in particular. They are just the perfect casual shoe to run some errands in, travel, go to a concert (and please, please excuse the fact I literally haven't washed my Converses in God knows how long)



Chunky Sweaters I am ride-or-die for some chunky sweaters people. If I could live in cold weather forever, I would be the happiest girl. Chunky sweaters, skinny jeans, and boots ALL DAY





You may not have noticed, color is not particularly important in both of our wardrobes. We are both very Plain Jane when it comes to attire - neutrals rock our world. Blacks, Whites, GRAYS, Tans, with the occasional earthy-tone thrown in there. But that's how we roll. We have tweaked our wardrobes to fit how we feel, and to express who we are. Some things that make up our wardrobes are things we are just simply ride-or-die for, and we would not be "ourselves" in the fashion sense without them. These guys have and will continue to get many miles put onto them, and we are forever grateful for that.

And to quote Sofia Coppola in our MOST favorite way, "You're considered superficial and silly if you are interested in fashion, but I think you can be substantial and still be interested in frivolity"

What are your wardrobe essentials?! We would love to hear from you what you are ride-or-die for in your closet!

Love,
your shameless fashion-loving pals

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance