WHO WE ARE

Two convivial girls with a shared love of a surprising amount of things including fashion, makeup, traveling, and more!

Thursday, March 31, 2016

What's In Our Purses?

| | 2 comments


Ok, so we should probably lead with this - sometimes, other random items can be found floating around in our bags, like old receipts, loose pieces of gum, and maybe even a crumb or two (you know how we love snacks). But, typically we are both good at keeping our purses clutter-free, so we decided to leave those details out. We know a lot of people see their purses as intimate places where people shouldn't just wander into and poke around. But, that's going out the window for us today! We are super happy and excited to open up our bags and share with our pals just what we keep in our purses!




Lo:


What's in the bag?!

It is my sincerest hope you read that like Brad Pitt's character Mills in Se7en. If not, go ahead and treat yourself to that delicacy! But I digress, here's what you'll find if you give my bag a rummage!


The Bag

My Mossimo black fringe backpack handbag is from Target, for me, it's the perfect combination of bohemian, yet structured, minimalist, and sensible. Yes, sensible, not only does it have enough extra space to hold my iPad if needed (I don't usually carry it, however, it's nice to have the option) but it also has two pockets on the inside (which I love for lipstick, pens, you name it) and makes carrying around a bag so simple! You can toss it back on one shoulder (or both, if you prefer) and it's hardly noticeable! And I stinking love that!

So what's inside? I used to be the Mary Poppins of handbags, I love to have everything on me I might possibly need but most likely will not need but only like once a year. Over time, I realized this wasn't efficient, practical, or good on the bags or my shoulder for that matter! I have slowly been working on minimalizing what I carry, for many reasons but specifically because my husband and I do a lot of spontaneous adventures and it's great to be able to grab a light bag of exactly what I need and go. With that being said, here's what I consider my necessities:





Wallet
This one is from the Mossimo collection as well, at Target. It's the right amount of edgy and chic. I absolutely love the chain strap which transforms this guy into the perfect little wristlet for a night out, when I want to leave my purse at home. It even has a space for your phone in there as well, I use that for my lipstick choice of the night, but to each her own. ;)

Planner
My black matte Cambridge planner is also from Target, I'm sensing a few themes here, I have a strong affinity for the color black and Target apparently, maybe this is a secret Target haule after all!  But black. I can't deny my love for black, as they say "black is a happy colour, darling" or my personal favorite "I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color". Back to this planner business, it looks like they don't have them in stock at Target currently but you can check out more of their planners here.

Ray Ban Aviators
Thanks to my hubby for these, keep these bad boys on me all the time. They're polarized too! Being totally honest, I had no clue how much of difference the polarization makes with reducing glare but after having it these last few years, I don't think I'd be able to go back.

Tiny Spiral Seashell
My husband found this in the hatch of the submarine he works on, who knows how long it had been there but it was the first thing her ever gave me and it's terribly special to me, so I keep it in any bag I carry.

Work ID
Gotta earn the cash money!

Tide To Go Pen
 Let's not beat around the bush, I'm a messy eater, so this guy saves me time and time again!

Sharpies and Pens

I keep one sharpie, sharpie pens, and one standard pen on me, for writing in my planner and other necessary moments throughout the day. Truth is, I adore office supplies, so this was an area I had to work to cut down on in my purse.

Conair Mini Bobby Pins
I usually keep a few of these tucked away in one of the side pockets in case of rainy day, you can do so many cute and quick updo's with these guys! I love the mini size for my hair, as they seem to have a tighter grip, which tends to hold my hair much better!

Gucci Guilty Perfume
I almost always have at least one of my favorite perfumes in my purse for touch up's after my midday gym session.

Lip supplies and Mirror
Last but certainly not least, I keep two liquid matte lipsticks that I use daily in my bag, Colourpop's Beeper (if you missed our review last week) and Kat Von D's Lolita. Also Bite's Line & Define Lip Primer and Honest Company's Lip Balm. If you haven't checked out the Honest Company yet, Jessica Alba (one of the founders of this company) has done some truly amazing work creating a line that is "unquestionably safe, eco-friendly, beautiful, convenient, and affordable" and the organic Lip Balm is no exception, hands down the best lip moisturizer I have ever used! Even my husband, who works on the coast and fights dry lips (e
specially during the winter), started using this and has had no sign of cracked lips all winter! And finally, for proper application and general touch up's, I keep my Sephora compact mirror on hand. I received mine as apart of one of the Beauty Insider gifts but you can check out more of their compacts out here.






Mal:



The Bag
Okay, so full disclosure, I love to float between bags. It may be a slight problem, but hey, at least I don't have exclusively designer bag taste! I love a good Target or Forever 21 bag just as much as a Michael Kors (and I have been known to find some pretty good ones at Plato's Closet a time or two!) This bag is from Forever 21, and I am currently LOVING. It has just the right amount of "slouch" for my taste, while still maintaining some structure. It is big enough to hold everything I need, but not so big that I have to go fishing to find something. I honestly can't remember what I paid for it, but if I had to take a stab at guessing, I would say between $25.00 and $30.00.



Erin Condren Life Planner
Anyone that knows me knows how much I live for my planner. I literally haul it everywhere I go. I am what you would call a planner addict. I have sticker sets and washi tape and stamps and fun clips and accessories. No shame. And my husband gets super excited on Sundays when I do my planning because he gets to *remember* what all he has going on for the week too! (But this will be another post for another day).

Kate Spade Wallet
I am SUPER picky about wallets, people. I like to have an organized wallet, but I don't like clutter, and I hate when wallets get too stuffed to even close. I have found through a lot of trial and error that Kate Spade feels me when it comes to organizing. I have 2 Kate Spade wallets, both of which I got on super sale, and I have used them for YEARS. My first one I got at the outlet in Myrtle Beach, SC and I literally had it for years. But it was oversized and I was ready for a smaller but equally functional wallet. So I found this one. I bought it online, in the Sale section of Kate Spade's website, and saved $75 dollars on it! Plus, mint is perrrrrfect for spring!

Mini Lint Roller
We have 3 furry children - a black and white cat, a black dog, and a brown, black, and white dog. So literally anything I wear is going to show animal hair - no question. And quite frankly, I don't even really notice it anymore. But, there are some times when I really do need to rid my clothes of fur, like work or a meeting. So I keep a little roller in case I miss a spot or forget altogether before I leave the house. 

Check Books (Case by Lucse on Etsy)
Yes, we are slightly archaic and still like to pay bills by check. So I carry them around with me. (We also have a functional home phone. Don't judge)

Honest Company Lip Balm
Thanks, Lo, for telling us about this stuff. Man, this is the most magical Chapstick. Not super waxy, and it actually moisturizers my lips, which I have not really found with chapsticks before. So, naturally, I keep one handy at all times.

Mini Dry Shampoo (currently Amika)
I'm sure you guys can tell by our previous posts that we are true dry shampoo advocates. Sometimes, after a long and stressful day of work and touching my hair non-stop, I get the "really should grab a shower" look going on up top. But , lots of times I have plans that won't allow a shower, or even a trip home to touch up, so I keep an emergency bottle in my bag so I never look too greasy!

Office Badge
I need to be able to get into my office every day, right?!

Orbit Gum
Honestly, I like gum, but I don't actually indulge often. I usually carry it for emergency coffee breath situations, or more often just for when my husband asks me for a piece - he is a gum addict!

Ray Ban Round Metal Sunglasses
These are my FAVORITE sunglasses. I have had them for about 6 months now and I don't go anywhere without them. Luckily, I was able to hit up Sunglass Hut during a sale they were having, so I didn't pay full! Score!



I am very much like my mom in that I love to have my little things compartmentalized into easy-to-find baggies. Again with the "I hate fishing for things in my purse", but I really, really do. Currently, I have 4 different small bags in my purse:

Pink stripes
This bag contains all of my feminine products. Hooray for being a woman #amiright?!

Black
This is what I keep all of my "beauty" items in. I have a few clear plastic hair ties, a few regular hair ties, bobby pins, a nail file, Neutrogena Shine Control Powder, and my Si Rollerball.

Woven
This bag just keeps my headphones and adapter for certain phone cases. With how much we travel, and some days just needing to escape from the chatter of the office, I always have headphones on me.

Pink Geometric
This is my medicine bag. I keep any prescriptions I am taking, and any over-the-counters that I may need regularly, like Ibuprofen and Non-Drowsy Dramamine. I am infamous for getting easily carsick, so (thanks to the tip from my Aunt Phyllis) I always carry Dramamine. Always.



What do you guys carry in your purses? Do you keep yours clean or do you just throw stuff in there and clean it out periodically? Let us know in the comments below!

Later, pals!



2 comments:

  1. Lauren - I love the reference to office supplies - obviously!! :) Mallory - I, too, LOVE my Erin Condren planner... Anyways, my purse??? Organized Chaos!!! That. Is. My. Life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lo: the office supplies just speak to me! Must be soul sisters cause I am right there with you, give this purse a good month or two and Il'' be along side you on that organized chaos train!
      Mal: YES I literally don't know what I would do without my ECLP - it is the most functional planner for me and I love love love. As for your purse, I totally feel you; but hey - at least its organized chaos, and not just chaos :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance