WHO WE ARE

Two convivial girls with a shared love of a surprising amount of things including fashion, makeup, traveling, and more!

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Lo's Favorite 90's Trends That Are Back

| | 1 comments
Like many cool cats from my generation, I have a soft spot for the 90’s. Whether it’s binge watching episodes of Animaniacs (and Friends-holla!) or pulling out my trusty ole Skip It (yes, I still have mine, it’s purple and all dinged up but I mustn’t let it go, if for nothing else but to see the look of pure bewilderment on my future children’s faces, when I whip it out), I just have so much love and nostalgia wrapped up in that decade.

Admittedly, while the 90’s had some strange and in my opinion, unfortunate trends (see skinny brows, blue eyeshadow overload, mini buns, and porcupine updo’s), the 90’s was also chock full of trends that would make returns and a few timeless, dare I say, classics.


For starters, tousled hair. I back this bad boy up 110%, give or take, infinity. I love my hair to look slightly unkempt and boho-chic and basically, I love any excuse to be lazy about it. This look allows me to do just that! Meritorious beyond belief homies aka all that and a bag of chips. Cue slow walk, wink, and finger gun pose.


 Chokers. Cut. It. Out. To be honest, I didn’t realized how much I missed this jewelry trend, until it made a reappearance lately. Chokers are quintessential 90’s, in my mind anyway and remind me of all those cool girls like Buffy, Sabrina, and Phoebe (Charmed), who we wanted to be just like (well, I know I did). And I used to feel pretty damn rad wearing those plastic tattoo chokers and am terribly close to picking myself up another because how much longer can I even resist? Nonetheless, I am really enjoying this trend and pairing a choker with a delicate necklace, to help balance out the look, is what I am all about. It’s so fun to pair this style with a white t-shirt and skinnies or a crop top and high slit maxi skirt for that sophisticated, sexy, and fun look.


Brown lipstick, come to mama. I am endlessly glad for this one, it’s the perfect balance of bold, yet understated and looks good on just about anybody. By using neutral tones, it can be a soft and daring look all the same, depending on the shade of brown you go with. I am generally partial to the neutral to warmer tones like Bow N’ Arrow by Kat Von D but I also can appreciate a good brown with red/orange undertones like Lolita II by Kat Von D, which feels insanely reminiscent of 90’s.


For the love of flannel! In combination with a good choker, this is 90’s grunge at its best and I love every minute of it. While the look is slightly more refined and polished these days, this trend has made a comeback in a pretty significant way and praise to the fashion Overlords for that. Flannels paired with your favorite cutoffs and tights, will satisfy any nostalgic yearning you may be experiencing for 90’s grunge. I also fancy tying a good flannel around my waist with a form-fitting dress to play around with the balance of femininity and masculinity or while you’re at it, go ahead and tie one around your waist with a good pair of denim, a t-shirt, and a leather jacket and THAT is pretty killer combination as well.


Last but certainly not least in this list of 90’s magic is crop tops. I’ll spare you the sappy and lengthy details but I could write whole sagas about my love for crop tops, it’s out of control, really. Digression averted, crop tops. These tummy-bearing shirts epitomized the 90's, I’ll never forget Shania Twain in her Any Man of Mine music video, I still love that outfit today! Or probably, the much more relevant and let’s face it memorable (for most), outfit Britney Spears wore in Baby One More Time Video. More than a comeback, crop tops have almost had more of a revival, in an elevated and sophisticated way. Between cropped sweaters, tees, and jackets, I can find a way to incorporate this style year around, especially when paired with high-waisted cutoffs, skinnies, or skirts and that makes this girl insanely happy.


And this concludes your 90’s time travel session, please exit through the gift shop-aka-the interwebs (which is no longer being powered by dial-up, props to wi-fi) and get yourself a few more wonderfully 90’s-inspired pieces! I’m outtie 5000!



xoxo, your 90’s grunge-loving pal

1 comments:

  1. I don’t suppose many of websites give this kind of information.http://www.luxtime.su/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance